Certain formations this year work so much better than last year. 424 is definitely one of them. The formation was literally unusable last year since it would leave so much gap in the defense. But this year with pace and fast playing styles being meta this formation is really good for attacking.
Yes, it does leave you on counters but you just need to know how to keep the pressure on with the right tactics.
FIFA 21 – Best and Meta Custom Tactics 4-2-4 | Ultimate Team Formation Guide
I will not suggest you use this formation throughout the game as the formation does lack defensive stability. You can use it to get a lead and switch back to a more defensive tactic or you can use it to get back in the game if you are a goal or two down.
Offensive Strategy :
- The formation suits more of a direct attacking style of gameplay. It is better not to work around the ball and play a lot of possession with this formation. We need them player-making runs so that we can get those through balls going. Hence Fast Build Up seems very good for this formation.
- The width should be 6 bars since we have 4 forwards. if they all stay too close to each other, we would lose the whole point of finding gaps in the opponent’s defense.
- Players in Box should be a 7. We need to crowd the box a little bit since this is a very attacking formation. There is no point in having 4 forwards and very low players in the box.
- Corners and Free Kicks are okay with 3 bars.
Defensive Strategy :
- To keep the pressure on we need to play Press After Possession Loss
- 5 bars of width are good for this formation
- Since we are trying to put pressure on the opponent we need to play a higher line. 6 bars Depth will do just fine.
Player Instructions :
- Back 4 should be at Stay Back While Attacking
- Both CMs should be on Stay Back While Attacking and Cover Center.
- Since we need to split the defense wide we need to have our Wingers on Balanced support with Stay Wide and Get in Behind. This would make the Left and Righ Backs on the other team go wide to mark your wingers. So now you would basically have 2 CBs versus 2 of your Strikers. Makes life easier. Also, put Get Into the Box for Crosses for both.
- Strikers should be Balanced instructions and just Get in Behind for one of them, on whoever has more pace.
Hopefully, this strategy will help you get back in the game or take a quick lead. But remember that after the latest patch Pressure After Possession Loss will consume a lot more stamina. So use it wisely. Do not use it throughout the match. Enjoy the game.
Arya is an avid gamer and a full-time content writer. His love for games is so unconditional that despite having a degree in Mass Communication he chose to have a career in the blogging world. He is a FIFA lover and has played every single FIFA game released since 2005. His knowledge of Sports Games is impeccable and every single article he writes is backed by years of experience.