Is FIFA 23 crashing for you too? Is the game freezing with a black screen on startup or midway on your PlayStation Consoles and Xbox Series X|S? Well, in this guide we will be discussing how you can easily fix any such problems on FIFA 23.
Fix Fifa 23 Crashing and Won’t Launch on PS4, PS5, and Xbox
FIFA 23 is out on all platforms and I have never been more excited. The game is powered by Hypermotion 2 technology which brings tons of more animations to the game making the game more smooth and players tend to not get stuck trying to trigger the right animations.
It is the last installment with the name of FIFA and this could not have been a better year to say goodbye. Although we will be getting a football name developed by EA, just that the name would not be FIFA. I have a feeling this year is going to be EA’s best year with this game.
With all that being said let’s come to the point. The game showed some kind of stability issue with so many users complaining about the game crashing on both new-gen and old-gen consoles. Here is what we can do to get it fixed on our PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox, and Series X|S.
Why is FIFA 23 Crashing on your console?
Firstly, we need to understand why a game would suddenly crash on your console – PlayStation, and Xbox :
- The System Software is not updated
- You lost your Internet connection
- Too much Cached Data
- Corrupted Local Save Files
- Database Errors
In case you want to know how to get your system software updated, here it is :
Settings >> System Software Update
Settings >> System >> Updates and Downloads >>Update Console >> Also check to Keep my console up to date & Keep my games and apps up to date
For your internet connection, you do not have much to do about it. You would just have to call your Internet Provider. Or it could be possible that EA Servers are currently down and the game just crashed as it disconnected you from the server.
Too much Cached Data and Database Problems
So how do we deal with Cached data and Database Problems? Well, let’s say we can deal with both at the same time. The PlayStation consoles are infamous for their frequent Database errors. What does a Database system do? Let’s say it allows the apps and the games that you run on the console to get access to the required data to continue running. If they cannot have that access they would probably just crash leaving you nothing but a complex-looking Error Code like CE-34878-0.
This is how we deal with Cached data on PS4 and PS5 :
- Unplug the power plug from the console and leave it turned off for like 2-3 minutes. This is pretty much done for your PS4. The Cached Data will automatically be removed.
- Now hold the power button for like 8-9 secs until you hear 2 beeps. Let go of the 2nd beep sound and the console will boot up in Safe Mode.
- Connect the controller with the USB port and press the PS button
- Select the option Rebuild Database for PS4. This will take a while depending on your storage. For PS5 however, select Clear Cached Data and Rebuild Database. You will get two more options – Clear Cached Data & Rebuild Database. Select both for your PS5.
Rebuilding the Database basically is like Defragmenting your hard drive. Arranging data in a way that is easily accessible to all the apps and games that you run on your PlayStation console.
This is how we deal with Cached data on the Xbox consoles :
- Go to Settings >> Devices and Streaming> Blu-ray>> Persistent Storage>>Clear Persistent Storage
For users who do not have the Blu-Ray option under Device & Streaming
- Turn off the console and unplug the power cable
- Leave it unplugged for 5 minutes
- Turn it back on. You will see a screen with the Xbox logo. The cached data will be cleared.
Local Save File problems
Corrupted save files are the most common reason for random crashing. If clearing out cached data and rebuilding the database does not work for you then definitely it could be the corrupted save files.
This is how you remove saved data from PlayStation 4 only :
- Go to Settings >> Storage >>Saved Data>> FIFA 23
- Now press the options button on the controller. Then select all the saves and hit Delete. This will remove all local save files from your hard drive
Remove the local saves for FIFA 23 on your Xbox consoles like this :
- My Games and Apps >> FIFA 23 >> Press menu button on controller >> Manage games & add-ons>> Saved data
- Now if you select Delete All it will still be synced on Xbox Live. So individually select the save files and then click on Delete from everywhere. This will remove your saved data from the cloud as well.
Xbox Insider Hub (Xbox Series S and X only)
The Xbox Insider Hub lets you have access to features and updates which are still in development. Surprisingly this app prevents your games from crashing.
Xbox Inside Hub>>Xbox Update Preview>Manage>>Select Xbox Update Preview Alpha Skip-Ahead
Even though it says that “Users may encounter bugs”, just ignore that. It will stop your games from crashing anyhow. This fix actually works. Try it out.
There you go, easy steps on how to quickly fix FIFA 23 from crashing on your console. If this guide was helpful let us know in the comment section below. Also, keep following FPS Index for more guides on FIFA 23.
Arya is an avid gamer and a full-time content writer. His love for games is so unconditional that despite having a degree in Mass Communication he chose to have a career in the blogging world. He is a FIFA lover and has played every single FIFA game released since 2005. His knowledge of Sports Games is impeccable and every single article he writes is backed by years of experience.