Tired of facing performance issues like fps drops, lag or random crashes in Borderlands 3. Here is basic guide listing some simple methods that might help you eliminate the performance related problems you are having in Borderland 3.
How to fix lag, fps drops and crashes in Borderlands 3
Update the graphics drivers of your system
A lot of people actually don’t realize that how important drivers really are and how important it is to keep them updated. Your PC might be sitting on a driver that is buggy and is causing loss in performance in your games without you having might any idea about it. So just to be on the safe side, update your drivers.
Here are the links to the latest drivers for AMD and Nvidia graphics cards:
Verify the game
The game might be missing a file or a two that is causing the game to lag or freeze. Verifying the files might fix the issue. Here is how you can do it
- Open Epic Game Launcher
- Click on your Library located on the left side of the launcher
- Bring your mouse pointer on the game, which in this case is Borderlands 3
- Click on the Settings icon beside the Launch icon
- Select Verify
You can try tweaking the Nvidia Control Panel settings
- Open Nvidia Control Panel
- Click on ‘Adjust image settings with preview‘ located on the left side
- Select ‘Use the advanced 3D image settings‘
- Now click on Manage 3D settings on the left bar
- Click on the Program Settings tab
- Locate Borderlands 3 from the drop down menu under “Select a program to customize”
- If you don’t see the game on the list then click on the Add button and another list will appear
- If you still cannot spot the game then you need to add the .exe file manually.
- Click on Browse
- Locate the folder where you have installed the game
- Select the executable file or the .exe file which in this case should be bl3.exe
- You will now see the program settings appear for the game
- Turn on Threaded Optimization
- Set Power Management to Prefer Maximum Performance
- Turn off Low Latency Mode
- Finally, set Texture filtering – Quality to Performance
Grant administrator rights to Epic Games Launcher
You can choose to give admin right to the Epic Games Launcher. Here is how to do it:
- Open the folder where Epic Games Launcher is installed
- Right-click on EpicGamesLauncher.exe
- Click on Properties
- Go to the Compatibility tab
- Click Change settings for all users
- Under Privilege Level, check Run this program as administrator
Windows 10 Update bug
After the recent Windows 10 update (KB4512941) a lot of users are facing a problem where Cortana and the Windows Search UI is causing high CPU usage. And this is causing major performance issues in games that need a good chunk of the CPU power to run.
Though Microsoft has stated that they are currently investigating this bug, it has already been a while since the update dropped there has still been no fix.
If you want you can try to fix this issue by yourself but be careful as it requires you to fiddle with the windows Registry Editor. This fix was actually suggested by a Reddit user with the name u/DefinitelyYou.
[Note: Your high CPU high usage problem will get fixed but the search bar or the search feature on your windows taskbar won’t work anymore. So do it at your own risk!]
Here is how to do it:
- Press Windows+R keys on your keyboard
- Type ‘regedit‘
- Once the Registry Editor window opens go this location : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
- Delete the Search key
- Restart your PC
We are working on some more fixes that will help you to optimize your game even further. We will update this post as soon as we get some new ones.