Looking for an amazing 4-2-2-2 custom tactics that would surely get you plenty of wins? This guide will help you understand how the 4-2-2-2 works this year and how you could easily make the most out of this formation to create chances.
FIFA 23 4222 Best Meta Custom Tactics for Easy Wins | FUT Formation Guide
The wait is finally over as FIFA 23 is here and I could not be more excited about the game. I would say the game is so balanced and is a huge improvement over last year’s installment.
You cannot randomly chain a thousand skill moves anymore as dribbling feels slow and realistic. The through-ball meta is still on this year as well. The pace seems to play a huge role in dominating the opponents. Players like Haaland and Mbappe are literally uncatchable when they are on a run.
Which is why you need a good defensive tactic to shut them off. You cannot always rely on skills to win. The game does have room for errors so it might not be your fault when you pass to the wrong guy or shoot wide. This is exactly why you need a good custom tactic that would give a slight advantage over how your players move on the pitch.
Best Custom Tactics for the 4-2-2-2 :
Gone are the days when 4-3-3 variants used to be meta in FIFA. It somehow changed to 2 striker formations which are regarded as the best ones to use nowadays. The 4-2-2-2 is a defensive variant of the 4-4-2. It is narrower and it is very stable defensively.
I am not saying that the formation is useless in attack but you need to know how to build up with this formation. We will be discussing that later in the guide.
- Keep Defensive Style as Balanced. We want the most stable defensive style.
- Width should be 40
- Depth should be 46. We are keeping a low depth to avoid getting caught by through balls. Lower depth gives you more defensive stability.
- Build Up Play should be Fast Build Up. If you feel that your players are rushing forward too quickly then feel free to change it to Balanced.
- Chance Creation should be Balanced which seems to be working well this year. We do not want our players to run like crazy though.
- Keep width on 66 and Player in the Box at 6
- Corners and Free Kicks should be 2 each.
The Right Player Instructions for the 4222 :
Without the right set of player instructions, the 4-2-2-2 would be useless.
- Back 4 should be on Stay Back While Attacking
- Both CDMs should be on Stay Back While Attacking, Cover Center, and Cut Passing Lanes.
- LAM and RAM should be on Come Back on Defense and Get Into the Box for Cross.
- One Striker should be on all Stay Central only while the other Striker should be on Stay Central, Stay Forward and Get In Behind.
How to Play the 4-2-2-2 :
What we are aiming at over here is a quick counter. We defend and the moment we get the ball the Fast Build Up offense style would help us move up the pitch quickly. The reason why we have to stay forward on only one striker is that we want at least one of them to receive the ball when we are building up.
We need to make the best use of the LAM and RAM. If in the match you find them staying too central just change the instructions to Drift Wide. For me, they are always in the right spot. However, it depends on the players you are using as well.
Through the ball is the game. When you get the ball to one striker trigger a run on the second and then lob the ball to him. Make sure you have strikers with good pace up front. The LAM and RAm will be cutting inside most of the time so you can try to do a 1-2 pass with them and get free.
That is all on the best custom tactics for the 4-2-2-2 formation in FIFA 23 Ultimate Team.
I hope the guide was helpful. Please, let us know in the comments section down below. Also, follow FPS Index for more FIFA 23 related guides throughout the year.
Arya is an avid gamer and a full-time content writer. His love for games is so unconditional that despite having a degree in Mass Communication he chose to have a career in the blogging world. He is a FIFA lover and has played every single FIFA game released since 2005. His knowledge of Sports Games is impeccable and every single article he writes is backed by years of experience.